A fast-growth food tech start-up has an exciting opportunity for a Cell Biology Scientist to joints is Culture Media team. Your role will be to develop, optimise, and characterise cell culture medium to maximise conversion into muscle or fat cells. You must have a PhD in Cell Biology, or closely related subject, and have industrial work experience in cell biology processes and stem or primary cell cultures.
The purpose of this role is to conduct scientific work, to support the development and production of animal myoblasts or adipocytes from stem cells to replace muscle or fat grown in animals. As a scientist you will join the Culture Media Team to perform the following duties:
- Develop, optimise, and characterise cell culture medium to maximise conversion into muscle or fat cells.
- Optimise protocols to enhance proliferation of primary stem cells in vitro.
- Design, plan, and execute complex R&D experiments ensuring that deliverables are successfully met within timelines.
- Document research findings clearly in an electronic lab book.
- Communicate regularly in group meetings and prepare and deliver presentations to project team and internal stakeholders.
- Along with team members, provide routine laboratory maintenance, including participating in equipment upkeep, cleaning rotas and laboratory consumables stock management.
- Shared responsibility for out-of-hours cell culture maintenance.
- Ensure that laboratory health, safety and quality procedures are followed.
- Select, follow, and adapt experimental protocols and generate laboratory SOPs.
- Support the preparation of laboratory risk assessments and maintenance of health and safety protocols.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the project and protocols.
- Keep abreast of current technologies and relevant scientific literature to help identify opportunity for improvements and reduction of costs.
Qualifications & Experience:
- PhD in Life Sciences, Biotechnology, or related field.
- Two years of post-doctoral experience, in cell biology, and process development, preferably gained in industry or in an academic-industrial collaboration
- Extensive experience in cell process development, with deep knowledge of cell biology and cell metabolism / biochemistry.
- Proven experience in cell culture, including serum free culture medium evaluation and screening, culture characterisation and process optimisation.
- Skilled in troubleshooting and conducting multi-factorial experiments.
- Ability to apply mathematical characterisation to biological processes.
- Excellent numeracy, computer, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of growing team.
- Stem and primary cell culture.
- Suspension or 3D cell culture.
- Experience in the application of ‘omics to process design and optimisation
- Proven experience in statistical experimental design, data analysis and multi-step optimisation.
- Metabolic analysis and optimisation of cell culture medium and processes.
- Experience of writing SOPs and risk assessments.